now many nodes can a lan support?

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 10 10:28:11 PST 2003

It's basically a communications bandwidth problem...

What's your bottleneck?  I would assume it's the link to the head in your
case, since all those 1KB packets heading out and 100B packets heading back
have to go through it.

1KB > roughly 10 kbits (by the time you add headers, etc.)
100B > roughly 1 kbit..
Clearly the "head to node" traffic will dominate the link, it's ten times
bigger.

Figure that 10 Mbps wire can carry, comfortably, 5 Mbps..

5000 kbps/10 kb = 500 packets/second

Now you need to find out how long it takes for a node to process the
packet..  If it takes 1 second, you can support 500 nodes. If it takes 0.01
seconds you can support 5.

This is a very rough and ready estimate, of course...  You need to address
such issues as:

1) synchronization of the nodes... if they all try to talk at the same
time, your throughput will drop (a lot). If node 2 tries to talk to the
head at the same time node 1 is, then either node 2 blocks, or its packet
gets held somewhere.  In your application, the dominant traffic appears to
be from the head to the nodes, so it would inherently tend to be sequenced
and non-simultaneous.
2) variability of the processing time on the node...

This is all pretty standard queuing theory stuff.  You could write a little
simulation program to try it all out.  R.G.Brown's book at the Duke Brahma
site talks quite a bit about how to calculate parallelism and speedup