Looking for remote file view utility

Andrew Leahy aleahy at knox.edu
Wed Jan 8 09:45:07 PST 2003

"Robert G. Brown" wrote:

> The big question is:  Why telnet?  Why any of the ftpd/httpd's?  What is
> wrong with just running something at least approximately secure like
> sshd and entering your remote commands as (e.g.)
>
>   ssh filehost ls -alF /path/to/files
>   ssh filehost cat /path/to/files/thisfile
>
> or
>
>   scp filehost:/path/to/files/thisfile .
>
> This is at least modestly secure, provides something approximating
> access control, and of course enables all sorts of OTHER work to be done
> that e.g. tftp does not.

Probably the most useful command I have on my small cluster is this
simple shell script:

#!/bin/sh

for junk in `cat /root/worksystems.txt` ;
  do

        echo ${junk}:
        ssh ${junk} $1
        echo ' '

done

Distribute root's public key to the nodes, and it provides a way to get
any output you want from the remote nodes.  Combine it with this script:

#!/bin/sh

for junk in `cat worksystems.txt` ;
  do

        echo ${junk}:
        scp $1 ${junk}:$2
        echo ' '

done

and I can do just about all of my system administration via a shell
script.

Andrew Leahy
---