serial over lan

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Sun Feb 23 09:48:04 PST 2003

With regards to your message at 10:02 AM 2/23/03,
beowulf-request at beowulf.org. Where you stated:
>A quick comment and a question.
>
>The serial port redirect available on the IPMI option cards on
>SuperMicro motherboards is significantly flawed, at least in the current
>implementation of the firmware.
<<snip>>

>Don Holmgren
>Fermilab

While I have not done much with the SMicro implementation, I have worked
with the Tyan SMDC.
Tyan's SMDC (Server Management Daughter Card)  utilizes a separate discrete
processor for these tasks.
It supports monitoring and control over the onboard ethernet and/or
serialports, and works pretty nicely.
It does not generate CPU load or time loss.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3