Installing Linux (without CD/floppies)

John Brookes johnb at quadrics.com
Tue Feb 18 06:23:05 PST 2003

Even if you _do_ need stable addresses, you can still avoid the labour
involved in collecting the MACs. You can assign them addresses from a DHCP
pool initially, but set them permanently when they boot. All of that can be
scripted.

Although these addresses'd be stable, they wouldn't be in order (confusing
for maintenance). You could turn them on at, say, minute intervals to get
the desired order, but - unless you've got some automated way of remote
booting (PD boxes with remote control; onboard out-of-band cycling) - it'd
probably be just as easy to collect the MACs.

Once the nodes are up, just leave them set to PXE-boot and get pxe to push
the nodes back to a local boot.

John Brookes
Quadrics
T: +44 (0)117 9155500