Back-UPS garbage? (was: Quick survey -- UPSs on slave nodes?)

Drew Raines drew-list-beowulf at poured.net
Tue Feb 11 08:17:28 PST 2003

Jim Lux <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> All a matter of carefully reading the specs..

[...]

> The smallish units work quite nicely to, for instance, allow a
> DSL modem/firewall/hub to ride through a short outage.

Great; the only thing the user has to regularly reset anyway, and
with no ill-effect, mind you, is protected.  :-)

Bravo on your marketing, APC.

> "The APC Back-UPS VS provides a complete solution for home
> networking [blah blah blah]

Do they really think we're that stupid?  Who is APC's primary
customer base?  The clueful, advanced user or system administrator.

All Jane Schmo cares about is seeing MSN come up when she clicks on
the blue ``e'' on her desktop, and if the power goes out, and after
her computer hopefully reboots, having her ``Internet'' come back
up.  She doesn't care about fsck and defragmentation and lost job
data on her nodes, etc.

-Drew