Performance evaluation

Keith Murphy keith.murphy at attglobal.net
Sat Sep 21 12:32:56 PDT 2002

I agree with Brian, MM5 requires a low latency interconnect to get the best
out of the cluster and achieve the scalabilty and performance you want.
Scali our software partner has done a great deal of testing with MM5 and our
low latency interconnect and has seen good numbers.

Compiling
MM5 MPP uses MPI as the transport layer between nodes. Scali's MPI (ScaMPI)
must be installed before compiling. The compilation process includes the
necessary ScaMPI files and libraries.
The MM5 configure file is set up to compile the MM5 package with the
Portland group set of compilers. The Gnu compilers cannot be used as the MM5
uses integer pointers (aka Cray pointers) and byteswap IO in its source
code, forcing the use of a compiler that supports this.

Multi (dual) processor nodes
In addition to MPI, the MM5 MPP package can be compiled with support for
OpenMP. With a cluster with multi (dual) processor nodes it is recommended
to use both OpenMP and MPI; the processors use OpenMP locally in each node,
whereas the nodes communicate with MPI. This reduces the memory requirements
in the nodes and the demand on the interconnect.

MM5 configuration
The performance of a MM5 model depends on the input data. The processor grid
in configure.user (PROCMIN_NS, PROCMIN_EW) should be set to a number that
match the number of nodes. Performance varies with processor grid, but if
you want to run on any number of nodes a 1x1 grid is fine. However, some
performance is lost compared to a 2x8 processor grid for a 16 node system.
Therefore, experimentation may be needed to get highest possible
performance.

Keith Murphy
Dolphin Interconnect
T: 818-597-2114