Disk noises and Tyan S2468UGN

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 12 12:14:06 PDT 2002

Our S2468UGN has 5 x 36 GB IBM disks in it, 2 on one
SCSI bus, 3 on the other.  These are IBM  IC35L036UWD210-0.
They work fine, pass all diagnostics, including exhaustive
surface testing using IBM's Drive Fitness Test 3.10.  But the odd
thing is that there is a semiperiodic (mean maybe 20 seconds, but
huge variance) noise from one or more of the disks which sounds
for all the world like a quieter version of a DLT tape repositioning.
That is, a longish (1.5 seconds?) whir followed immediately by a
shorter sort of "shunk" at the end.  Some sort of movement sound,
but not anything that sounds like an overt failure.

I can't see the individual drive lights on these disks because
of the way they are mounted, in fact, I don't even know that
they have drive lights, so I can't really say if this is one drive
doing this or all 5 drives doing it once in a while.  The main system
drive light does not come on when this sound is made.  I upgraded
to the latest Tyan BIOS (v4.03) and it still occurs.  The sound is
produced whenever there is power: sitting in the BIOS, waiting in
DOS, running linux, etc.

Has anybody else observed this?
Any idea what it might be?

Thanks,