undergrad senior project idea, help

Matt Osborne mosborne at cbu.edu
Fri Sep 6 13:04:32 PDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> It is lovely to recycle old boxen for learning/demo purposes, but it is
> also important to be aware of a couple of gotcha's.  One is that it gets
> harder and harder to run modern kernels on really old boxes, as they
> maintenance is our LARGEST expense by far in our bleeding-edge efficient
> admin environment).  We'll probably retire them all in the next 6-12
> months.
>
>    rgb
>
> --
> Robert G. Brown	                       http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
> Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
> Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
> Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu

Thanks for the details, really informative. Do you know of any easy way to
measure or determine the power drawn by a system besides calculating each
component's? Also, I notice that you and Mark Hahn are from the Physics
area. Is there a particular set of problems within Physics that you use
for your Beowulf or a website that might have some info? I really enjoy
working with the Physics dept. here so I thought I would ask.

Regards,
Matt Osborne