Rolling a rack on carpet

Joe Rice riceja at water-melon.net
Thu Oct 24 10:25:13 PDT 2002

yes, most of my cluster racks are on the same type of
carpet. They have smaller wheels (casters) then 4 inches.
i think 3 inch.  The only problem i ever have pushing them
around is after they have been sitting in one spot for a while.
getting them out of the holes they have created takes a little
bit of rocking (like when you get your car stuck in the snow).

good luck,
joe

David Mathog(mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu)@Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:55:36AM -0700:
> Anyone have experience with a rack in carpeted room?
>
> We've got a 20 x 2U system in a single rack which when fully
> populated is going to weigh on the order of a thousand pounds.
> The room which holds it is covered wall to wall with industrial
> carpet. It's a computer room - it's also a class room.  Don't
> ask.  There's concrete underneath the carpet.  From the top
> of the carpet to squished all the way down to the concrete
> is about 1/4".  I'd hoped that the 4  2" wheels would roll
> on this thin carpet, but with the rack partially loaded
> with 5 nodes it already requires considerable force to roll it.
> Fully loaded it's not going to roll unless induced to do so
> by several very burly bodies.
>
> Removing the carpet isn't an option and neither are
> bigger wheels.  Some sort of base plate to put
> under it is needed - about 4' x 8' would provide enough
> motion when we need to pull the rack out..  1/4" aluminum
> should work but it would cost $300 for the sheet
> and the edges would be hazard to the barefoot undergrads.
> Particle board is cheaper but given the small size of
> the wheels they would probably crush holes into the board, which
> could be worse than being on the carpet.
>
> Perhaps a thick piece of plywood, maybe with linoleum or
> other flooring applied over it would work?
>
> Anybody solved this one this before?
>
> Thanks,
>

> David Mathog
> mathog at caltech.edu

How do i get rid of those words in my screen that are coming from you?