eepro100 confusion

Michael Stein mas at ucla.edu
Thu Oct 24 09:45:30 PDT 2002

> I recently had two IBM Linux clusters installed at my work site. Due to
> certain customer issues, our cisco switches have all ports set to 100Mbits
> Full Duplex for all server connections.

My understanding is that setting ports to 100 Mbits/full duplex will
PREVENT the NICs from negotiating thus requiring specifying the matching
values on every server NIC.

If not specified on the server the server should, without negotiating,
default to half-duplex, thus resulting in a duplex mismatch.

This maximizes the effort/support needed on each and every server.

There might have been a time years ago when FE negotiating was a problem,
but shouldn't we be way past that by now?