kickstart install using NFS

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 10 08:51:01 PDT 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Greg MATTHEWS wrote:

> > There are lots of tools you can use to copy over the files preserving
> > paths -- hopefully you know how to use at least one, and remember to
> > mirror if you have the bandwidth instead to pick up the updates (so you
> > aren't subsequently vulnerable to e.g. slapper because you install a
> > werbser from a CD with unpatched ssl/apache).
>
> out of interest, what do ppl use to mirror this sort of thing? at the moment
> i'm considering rsync to grab the changes from local (public) mirror.

rsync is great, if you have a local mirror that permits it or will
permit it for you.  wget is another possibility.  Finally, there is some
sort of mirror tool that appears to be in the redhat distribution itself
and may be the "approved" tool (google -> redhat mirror) but I've never
used it.

At Duke users and sysadmins can rsync from the lightly loaded "internal"
duke install site with permission, and then there is our public ftp
mirror, of course (totally hammered with an astronomical load average
ever since 8.0 was released).

   rgb