Sun's Steve Campbell Speaks On The Sun Fire Link

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 20 07:04:32 PST 2002

Some meat. It's a proprietary thing, of course.

http://www.supercomputingonline.com/nl.php?sid=2880

Sun's Steve Campbell Speaks On The Sun Fire Link
Wednesday, Nov 20 @ 06:47 PST

By Chris O'Neal .

At SC2002, Sun Microsystems launched a new high-performance cluster
interconnect for the Sun Fire 6800, Sun Fire 12K and Sun Fire 15K. By
connecting up to eight servers with its advanced optical communications
technology, Sun Fire Link delivers scalable cluster performance with
incredibly low latency. To learn more, Supercomputing Online interviewed
Steve Campbell, Vice President Marketing, Enterprise System Products.

SCO: At SC2002, Sun is introducing a new high-performance cluster
interconnect, called Sun Fire Link. Please share the highlights with us.

Campbell: There are a couple of highlights. One is the actual technology
itself and the other part is how do you apply that technology. We use an
extension of the system.s backplane. It.s much higher high bandwidth with
extremely low latency. Our bandwidth is 4.8 gigabytes. Probably aggregates
and delivers about 2.4 gigabytes in a sustained mode. Obviously at times
you will get bursts. But sustaining at 2.4 is what we have seen in many
applications. Coupling that high speed capability enables us to link up to
8 Sun Fire servers. These can be either: 6800s, 12Ks, 15Ks or a
combination of these. So when you take 8 - 15Ks, you have a total of 800
processors. This technology enables that kind of scalability on up to
eight nodes and a peak performance approaching 2 TFLOPS. So you.re
delivering a substantial amount of performance with that kind of
configuration. It is breakthrough technology and optical interconnects.

A key is to recognize the kind of applications that can utilize this. You
have the physical hardware layers of this super cluster. And you bring in
tools like HPC ClusterTools, which are the MPI capabilities, and now I can
start to apply all of these to solving a single problem with the
substantial computer power that can be applied to that. Couple that with
storage and SANS and you have very large processing capabilities and large
data management applications. It.s been a technology which we.ve have
installed at a number of sites. So it.s tried and proven. People are using
it today. That.s typical of what we do at Sun. Before we do general launch
like this is make sure our products have Beta tests and passes all the
various quality aspects of our products. So we have customers who are
using this in their environments. And they are very happy with it.

It.s not just an interconnect and its not just high-performance, it is
also has levels of redundancy. So if there are failures in the link, then
the system can continue to operate. For example at the show, we have the
ability to demonstrate unplugging physical links. If you unplug a physical
link that would imply that the system is down, the connectivity is down,
but you still have parallel links and you can still operate. So you don.t
bring the complex down and stop. You still have application availability.
That application availability we provide through triple redundancy levels
at the hardware side. That is the key to this technology. It.s not only
fast, not only an extension of the backplane, it is not only got software
that works within it, but it also has redundancy that was built into it as
well. That matches the whole philosophy of Sun and particularly the
high-end, mission critical systems. It.s all about application
availability. And when you have a large computing complex solving
problems, you have applications that can run for many days. And we can
actually provide the availability for that. There.s no single point of
failure on the server, no single point of failure in the interconnects. So
it.s high availability, high level of redundancy, high level of
performance and breakthrough technology. It.s a .wow. product.

[...]