Inquiry?

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Sat Nov 16 12:00:42 PST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 13:05, SOHO Mail wrote:
>     Does it make sense to build a mini-cluster with two computers (running
> SuSE Linux 7.3)?  And if it does, how can I do that?
>
> I am not very proficient at using Linux, yet (I don't know how to
> compile my own software, etc.).  I run SETI at Home on Windows 2000, and
> would like to run it on Linux on two computers.  Essentially, I want to
> build a mini-cluster just to see if I can do it.

Certainly you can get a feeling for how clustering works with only two
machines. The problem is that there is very little advantage for running
SETI at Home, as it doesn't utilize any functionality of the clustering.
Even on multi-cpu boxes, you still run totally different instances
rather than a single instance over several machines.

--

	-Dean