Beowulf and Big Brother

Jakob Oestergaard jakob at unthought.net
Wed Nov 13 07:12:59 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 07:54:04PM +0200, Ollisl wrote:
> > Another thing to look at is Ganglia (http://ganglia.sourceforge.net/)
> > which not only monitors services but tracks both aggregate and local
> > statistics. Mind you, I've never installed it; the last place I worked
> > never outgrew Big Brother (and never had time to experiment with it
> > =\)
>
> Yes, I actually was looking at that too. There are few others, such as
> www.nagios.org. It looks like there isn't one software that could
> handle everything from clustering to monitoring the cluster... At least
> not a free SW-package.
>
> Well, continuing my search for cluster management SW...

<plug blatant="absolutely">

http://www.sysorb.com/

We're about to release a new version which will scale significantly
better than the old (2.2.1) one.

SysOrb is a commercial software package, and it does some of the things
that I see people asking for here; collecting and *storing* historical
data, among other things.

You can generate a report of "what was the average load on each node in
my cluster this month last year" for example.

We're commercial, which means we usually cost money. The price tag is
significantly lower than the big packages, but it may still be
unfeasible to make that investment for a university (which has unlimited
amounts of free hands available).

While I obviously cannot make any promises to the Beowulf community in
general, I should say that we have been known to be generous towards
educational institutions in the past   ;)

If you can survive using a commercial package, go download it from our
web-site. The full package will work for 30 days on a limited number of
nodes.

If you need more time and/or more nodes, let us know.

If you find the package interesting, and you're in education/research
then let us know and we might be able to work something out.

</plug>

And yes, I am very much affiliated with the company that produces this
product, in case there was doubt about that  ;)

:   jakob at unthought.net   : And I see the elder races,         :
:.........................: putrid forms of man                :
:   Jakob Østergaard      : See him rise and claim the earth,  :
:        OZ9ABN           : his downfall is at hand.           :