SMC 8624T 24-port 10/100/1000 switch

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Nov 12 16:10:37 PST 2002

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Bob Drzyzgula wrote:
> I don't know for sure, but it seems likely that most of these
> are using either the Broadcom StrataXGS chips or the Marvell
> Prestera-EX/FX chips, and at that I'd guess it was more likey the
> former.
>
> The Broadcom chipset includes an 80Gbps fabric with four
> 10Gbps ports, and a 12-port 1Gbps switch with a 10Gbps uplink.

It's interesting to note that the broadcom chips support jumbo frames up to
9K.  I wonder why the HP, dell, netgear, etc.  switches don't seem to support
jumbo frames?  Maybe they do support them?  I think I saw one person with a
definitve no jumbo for the netgear GS524, but everything else appears to just
be guessing.