disadvantages of linux cluster - admin

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Nov 8 08:53:27 PST 2002

[snip]
> Also, the way some people throw around how "Athlons use a lot of power and
> make heat" or "Tyans use a lot of power" are simply propagating urban
> legends (a legend that Intel does everything it can to fuel).

As I type this I realise that this topic ranks quite high on
flame-top-10, but I'll take my chances ;-)

First, your facts below are, to put it mildly, incorrect. Power max as
given by AMD and Intel for their cpus are unfortunately not 'measured' the
same way. To get some hard figures I grabbed my clamp meter and went into
the computer room. Time for a reality check:

dual MP2000+     idle: 0.5-0.6A (kept changing, 0.55)
dual Xeon 2.4GHz idle: 0.2A
dual MP2000+     load: 0.7A
dual Xeon 2.4GHz load: 0.5-0.6A (kept changing, ~0.55)

Obviously my clamp meter isn't very accurate but the relative changes
should hold. If the numbers seem awfully low keep in mind that we are
running on 230V here.

The 'load' in this case was a kernel 'make -j3' plus a 'badblocks' so both
disk IO and cpu was used.

Both systems were 'cluster-assembled', that is contained not much more
then MB, cpu, nics, mem and one disk.

Conclusion 1) it's unfair to the xeon, I should have picked a 2.0GHz...
Conclusion 2) idle Xeon ~ loaded Athlon
Conclusion 3) the diff between idle and load is greater on the Xeon system

> Fact: AMD design max power per CPU is around 45W
>
> Fact #2: Intel P4 at 2GHz has a design consumption peak of 76W. Of course
> getting the P4 to actually use that much is sometimes elusive as they speed
> step the moment you approach that.
> Very safe, if all you wanted as 1GHz CPUs!

And you are talking about urban legends?! Our Xeon cpu's are cooled only
by the airflow through the box (which in our case is very good). No
specific cpu fans. Have I seen any termo-safes go off? No. Not a single
cpu has ever gone into termo protection mode without reason, not even when
running really intensive tasks and sucking in air 5-10 deg C warmer then
normal.

Hoping for a world with less urban legends,
 Peter