disadvantages of a linux cluster

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Nov 6 06:18:38 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > 256-processor Intel clusters (home grown apps). We run in parallel with
> > MPI Pro and Cluster Controller and Windows 2000. Reliability is 5-nines;
> > manageability tools have helped us to reduce systems administration
> > costs/staff.
>
> so what would be the list price of that software?  do you have any
> data on how reliability would compare with a linux approach?
> also, .99999 is impressive, only 5 minutes a year; how long have
> you had the cluster?  is that .99999 counted for all nodes,
> or do you mean "at least some nodes worked for .99999 of the time"?
>
> if you really mean that the sum of all downtime (across all 256 nodes)
> is 5 minutes/year, that's truely remarkable!

I agree.  In fact, hardware alone is a lot less reliable than that.
You've been amazingly lucky.  Even with Dell hardware we've never gone a
year without some sort of hardware failure that involved a day or so of
downtime (or expensive onsite service contracts and/or lots of spare
parts sitting around), and one day contains 1440 minutes, or more than
five minutes per node for 256 nodes.  Just diagnosing a failed part
(like a bad memory DIMM or crashed disk or burned motherboard) usually
takes a few hours.  So you've either really got (effectively) 258
systems with a couple of them functioning as more-or-less-hot spares or
have had phenomenally good luck.

If the latter, you might try computing your uptime including the hot
spares.

   rgb