Surge suppressors (not wiring)

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 4 11:13:41 PST 2002

At 10:48 AM 11/4/2002 -0800, David Mathog wrote:

> > Jim Lux wrote:
>

> > >Good luck though finding a review on something like an EDCO AC-RACK:
> > >
> > >   http://www.edcosurge.com/products/telecom/acRack.asp
> > >
> > >Which is pretty close to my desired products specs (except
> > >joules, which seems low at 900) and does have the "remove
> > >load on suppression failure" feature.  So on paper it looks good.
> > >Be a bit more comforting if some independent group had tested
> > >it though!
> >
> > The fact that it is UL1449 listed means that some NRTL (Nationally
> > Recognized Testing Laboratory) has tested it, and you should be able
>to get
> > the test report from the MFR...
> >
> > Interestingly, that page cites IEEE 584, and I can't find IEEE 584
>
>The UL standards generally mean "this device will not burn your house
>down".  When a UL standard requires some level of functionality
>it is usually set so low that the poorest exemplar of any given
>device will pass.
>
>IEEE 584 appears to be a typo for IEEE 587 (currently
>known as  ANSI/IEEE C62.41).  The other EDCO devices refer to
>IEEE 587.

Aha.. so compliance with IEEE 587 just means that they used the standard
waveforms..

The key to the UL 1449 thing in this case is to look at the test report
that had to be prepared to get the listing in the first place.  1449
defines all the terminology and test procedures... From what I am told,
second hand, one should be able to ask the mfr for a copy of the relevant
data. They probably won't give you a copy of the report, but if they give
you the numbers, in writing, and claim that they have been derived from
testing in accordance with the published procedure, then that's just as
good (since it would be fraud if that wasn't how they got the numbers...)

The key is being careful about the distinction between "tested according to
spec XYZ", "tested by an independent organization according to spec XYZ",
and "designed to meet spec XYZ"... read those disclaimers carefully.