[off-topic] Re: MS attacking government use of "open source"]

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu May 23 15:05:59 PDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 02:10:04PM -0400, Bob Drzyzgula wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 10:39:19AM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:09:08PM -0400, Bob Drzyzgula wrote:
> >
> > > I think that a lot of this comes down to what you
> > > believe about the concept of royalties and rentals, and
> > > intellectual property in general.
> >
> > There are people who cast the problem that way. There are people who
> > do not. Red-baiting went out with the end of the cold war, no?
>
> Thank you. Can you suggest an alternative cast
> of the problem?

Well, I'm a pragmatist. Open source software is here to stay. The critical
mass of the movement is a side-effect of the emergence of global networks.
The world must evolve to be in sync with this new reality.

IMHO, open source software represents a quantum step forward in business
efficiency. But there is going to be a lot of pain during a prolonged and
nasty transition. There are just too many folks with a vested interest in
the legacy, proprietary software business model.

Those of you with an interest might find this article worth a read.

http://www.neuralscape.com/bmodels/disrupt.html

I wrote that a year ago, and all that has happened since appears to be
confirming my logic. The next few years are going to be real interesting.

cheers,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer