sorry ... not cut through

Donald B. Kinghorn kinghorn at pqs-chem.com
Tue May 14 08:22:37 PDT 2002

I just tried to get some more information about the Netgear switches and
according to there web site the 524 is "store and forward" and not "cut
through" like I reported. The  FS508 was a " cut through" design but I see
it's not even listed as a product anymore on the Netgear web site.

When I use inexpensive switches I generally get one with at least twice the
number of ports than what I actually use assuming that the switching fabric
will not handle more than full load on half the ports at a time. The FS524
Netgear has a 1.2 gigabit/sec switching fabric and thus would not be a good
choice for someone that needs to use all 24 ports ...

-Don