opinion on XFS

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Thu May 9 16:08:12 PDT 2002

I'd have to say that my experiences match Don and Robert: I've used
lots of ext2 (and now ext3) with no significant corruption,
ever. Moreover, lots of other people have used ext2.

When I hear reports of "I had terrible problems and they went away
when I moved to XFS", I can think of a couple of situations that would
be misleading and confusing.

The first is that a hardware error is getting covered up by a change
in software. XFS doesn't use devices like ext2 does.

The second is that you don't just "add XFS" to the system, you
radically change your kernel to add XFS to your system. So you aren't
just changing one thing, you're changing several things. That makes
it hard to say you learned a lot with your debugging.

Now it does annoy me that ext2 required hand-intervention too
frequently on unexpected reboot. But I've never seen significant
corruption as a result, and ext3 fixes that.

greg