Because XFS is BETTER (Re: opinion on XFS)

Eray Ozkural erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr
Thu May 9 13:02:31 PDT 2002

On Thursday 09 May 2002 19:54, Chris Black wrote:

> I am generally very happy with reiserfs (especially under 2.4), in
> particular its handling of directories with thousands of results files
> from cluster jobs.

That's really an advantage. Space utilization is in fact quite important
for contemporary applications on UNIX. Especially since we tend to have
so many small files such as sources, etc. nowadays. The savings can be
significant.

If reiserfs has matured, it would be great for clusters. Things are changing
too fast, and I suppose I will have to retract that statement of mine. :)The
most important feature in a beowulf cluster would be no-fs-death-on-crash.
It's very easy to crash a node with a suitable code, so I shouldn't have to
re-install it or manually fsck it every time it fails to reboot after such a
crash...

So maybe in the meantime JFS has matured, too?

Thanks for your comments,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza