opinion on XFS

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Tue May 7 09:23:36 PDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 11:28:23AM -0400, Yudong Tian wrote:

>     Has anyone tested the water of using SGI's XFS on a Linux cluster Can
> you kindly share any experience and insights?

Fermilab was posting on linux-kernel recently about it. Here's an
exerpt from kernel-traffic:

22 Apr - 24 Apr (21 posts) Archive Link: XFS in the main kernel

Dan Yocum requested of Linus Torvalds:

I know it's been discussed to death, but I am making a formal request
to you to include XFS in the main kernel. We (The Sloan Digital Sky
Survey) and many, many other groups here at Fermilab would be very
happy to have this in the main tree.

Currently the SDSS has ~20TB of XFS filesystems, most of which is in
our 14 fileservers and database machines. The D-Zero experiment has
~140 desktops running XFS and several XFS fileservers. We've been
using it since it was released, and have found it to be very reliable.