Ethernet Channel Bonding (ECB)...Revisited

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Mon May 6 06:25:47 PDT 2002

"Timothy W. Moore" wrote:

> comparing the results to a Quad CPU shared memory server.  While running
> this weekend, node07 for whatever reason, stopped communicating and the
> run terminated in error.  I am using a single NIC in each node.
>
> [1] If I had placed multiple NIC's in each node, would the communication
> route have been diverted and completed successfully?  In other
> words...In case of a flaky connection, does it provide an alternate
> means of communication?

not commonly done in Linux.

> [2] I am an engineer, not a computer scientist or IT guru.  I do not
> want to even think about re-compiling kernels for all those nodes.

You'll just have to put up with the machine crashing then.

  So,
> I am running RedHat 7.2 out of the box.  If I add a NIC to each node and
> server, what is the method or command sequence that one must do to
> actually perform the bonding?  Or does the kernel see 2 cards and do it
> automatically? (I guess that would be a perfect world!)

for some discussion on the matter, see the HOWTO for another project.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-20.html#ss20.2

Joe
mailto:mack.joseph at epa.gov ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA