NAS

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Fri Jun 28 11:29:22 PDT 2002

Martin Siegert wrote:

> On a related issue:
>
> we are planning to install a relatively large NAS unit (in the 100TB range).
> The question is: is there a limit (and if yes, how large is it?) for the
> largest file system Linux can mount?
> E.g., can I NFS mount a 8TB file system under Linux? (kernel 2.4.18).

AFAIK, the current limit is 2TB for a single filesystem. You can play some
NFS mounting games to get that higher (it's not pretty though). I think
the Raidzone folks have a way to get to 4 TB, but I don't know for sure.
Oh, I forgot, this is for 32-bit stuff. I don't know about 64-bit  boxes.

There are some efforts to break this limit on 32-bit machines, but it's
pretty much confined to 2.5.x kernels (although a gentleman in Japan
working for VA has some patches for a 2.4 kernel). Here are some links:

http://old.lwn.net/2002/0516/a/2tb.php3
http://lwn.net/Articles/3375/

http://old.lwn.net/2002/0516/a/2tb-2.php3
ftp://ftp.valinux.co.jp/pub/people/sasaki/blk64

Good Luck!

Jeff