PORTLAND COMPILERS

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Fri Jun 14 11:17:59 PDT 2002

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Ivan Oleynik wrote:
> I have some questions about licensing of PGI compilers. If you look at
> Portland website, there are several bundles of compilers such as PGI
> Workstation and PGI CDK Cluster Development Kit. They differ dramatically
> in terms of the price. In particular, PGI CDK Cluster Development Kit
> comes with 2/5/10/25/50 users and 16/64/256 CPUs ranging from $2,000 to
> $10,000 (for academics).
>
> I would like to know what does number of CPU's mean: is it something that
> will limit number of MPI processes during execution of binary generated by
> PGI compiler? How does it practically work? Is it implemented via
> something like Flex LM License Manager? For example, if I have 24 node
> cluster, does it mean that I need to buy at least 64 processor license if
> I want to utilize all the processors?

The CPU count limit in PGI's licenses is only a hard limit for
their HPF compiler, AFAIK.  The binaries generated by their HPF
compiler have a maximum CPU count hardcoded in them at compile
time.  The other compilers have no such limit, although there are
probably support implications if you buy a license for fewer CPUs
than are in your cluster.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       email:  troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    phone:  614-292-9701
Ohio Supercomputer Center       web:  http://oscinfo.osc.edu