LINUX CLUSTER: vendors & critical issues

Ray Muno muno at aem.umn.edu
Wed Jun 12 12:20:50 PDT 2002

In looking over the documents indicated, I do not see anything that
grants use of the compilers for free.

The statement:

"The scope of your license depends on the type of license you purchased from
  Intel and the variety of license scopes are set forth below. "

Seems to indicate that the license covers only Eval or purchased licenses.

The following pages indicates that the Fortran compiler is $150/user
per machine. The cost for the C++ compiler is $100/user per machine.

http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f60l/acadprice.htm
http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/c60l/acadprice.htm

Licensing by individual user would be a bit inflexible.  I called the reseller
indicated on the page and they had no pricing info on floating licenses.

The license page indicated below alludes to floating license for non-commercial
applications.

Does anyone have any pointers to contact information for purchase/acquisition
of the Intel compilers for cluster use in an academic environment?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 01:45:34PM -0400, Rob Myers wrote:
> have your lawyer read the licenses for you at:
> http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f60l/f60l_noncom_lic.htm
> http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/c60l/c60l_noncom_lic.htm
>
> i work for a .edu, so i think they're free for me :)
>
> rob.
>
> On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 12:21, Joachim Worringen wrote:
> > Rob Myers wrote:
> > > 3. Be aware that the proprietary intel compilers are free.
> >
> > Are you sure that this is still valid for the current version 6? It was
> > true for version 5, which was more a public beta test.
> >
> >  Joachim
> >
> > --
> > |  _  RWTH|  Joachim Worringen
> > |_|_`_    |  Lehrstuhl fuer Betriebssysteme, RWTH Aachen
> >   | |_)(_`|  http://www.lfbs.rwth-aachen.de/~joachim
> >     |_)._)|  fon: ++49-241-80.27609 fax: ++49-241-80.22339

 Ray Muno                           http://www.aem.umn.edu/people/staff/muno
 University of Minnesota                          e-mail:   muno at aem.umn.edu
 Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics               Phone:     (612) 625-9531
 110 Union St. S.E.		                     FAX:     (612) 626-1558
 Minneapolis, Mn 55455