availability of Memory compression routine

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 19 06:58:01 PDT 2002

At 12:13 AM 7/18/2002 -0500, Dean Johnson wrote:

>As for the communications piece, isn't an mpi_broadcast just a loop over
>a send to the available nodes (ie. a mere convenience).

No implementation of MPI_Bcast that I know of is this simple.  All use at
least a fanout tree (with log p fanout); more sophisticated versions use
(for large data) scatter/gather operations that make full use of a switched
network, and very sophisticated versions use a suite of algorithms,
choosing the one to use based on the network and message size .  Multicast
is tricky, since (as you note) basic multicast isn't reliable and not all
networks support it, but there have also been some efforts to provide
implementations of MPI_Bcast that use IP multicast as well.

Bill