CCL:Origin300, Linux Cluster (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 8 09:41:55 PDT 2002

ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2'' http://www.leitl.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:28:17 +0200
From: Christoph Steinbeck <steinbeck at ice.mpg.de>
To: chemistry at ccl.net
Subject: CCL:Origin300, Linux Cluster

Manuel Melle-Franco wrote:
>>I can only support this.
>>And I would also suggest using no no-name, garage-built hardware.
>

> Under which basis? If you want to get the best prize/performance ratio,
> this is the best choice, full stop!. You got to study in deep all
> possibilities, but regardless...

Sure. The basis for my suggestion is my(!) best trade-off between the
amount of non-scientific work that I have to invest and what I finally
get out of it scientifically.
If you run into problems with your garage-built hardware (which can
without any doubt be as good as any other hardware) you might be stuck
with it and you might have to fix the stuff yourself.
A major brand vendor producing server hardware can just not afford
building sh*t because otherwise they are out of business within weeks
because the 24 h exchange support eats all there profits.
Since I could not afford being without my compute server for more than a
couple of days, we decided to go for a brand-name hardware.
All major rack-server vendors, including ours, come and exchange your
hardware within 24h in case of a defect. I just had this case a couple
of days ago (processor heat death due to a damage fan) and I was really
happy to see my server running again after 24 h without having to do
more than a phone call.

> Just checked and best you can get for a reasonable prize there seems dual
> PIII. That was OK maybe last year, but now for not a much higher price,
> but no big brand (the ones I know, Siemens, compaq, dell, and IBM, do not
> sell AMD's and dual P4 are still too expensive). You can get dual ADM
> athlon 2000 which definitively runs faster for mainly the same prize but
> you have to renounce to the big brand name.
>

>>We are running Siemens hardware and we are very satisfied, but I think
>>there are tons of comparable systems from other major producers.
>
> I am pretty sure, I am also pretty sure that they are not the best
> alternative nowadays, :-)

There are always systems with newer, faster, etc., hardware. The systems
I'm talking about are designed for stability, which might cause the
vendors to stay with a particular hardware combination for a few month
longer. We have had half a year of uptime with some of these and the
reboot that interupted this was more like a vodoo idea ("hm, it might be
good to reboot from time to time, no one knows...").

Cheers,

Chris

--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck (http://www.ice.mpg.de/departments/ChemInf)
MPI of Chemical Ecology, Winzerlaer Str. 10, Beutenberg Campus, 07745

What is man but that lofty spirit - that sense of enterprise.
>... Kirk, "I, Mudd," stardate 4513.3..

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
CHEMISTRY at ccl.net -- To Everybody  | CHEMISTRY-REQUEST at ccl.net -- To Admins
Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: jkl at osc.edu