NAS

Massimo Biasotto massimo.biasotto at lnl.infn.it
Thu Jul 4 10:21:29 PDT 2002

Maurice Hilarius wrote:

> You might want to try this:
> With the 3Ware cards, install Linux software RAID.
> We get write performance up to twice as fast this way, and can use 2 of
> the 3Ware's to make on RAID of up to 24 disks, or, using current Maxtor
> 160GB drives, 3TB net capacity.
> Using the Maxtor 160's we get RAID5 writes of 85-90MB sec, and reads
> over 160MB/sec.

Hi,
in our Institute we have been buying 3ware cards to build this kind
of servers for more than an year now, and we are quite satisfied with them.
After a very bad experience with IBM 75GB disks (14 failed disks out of 34),
lately we have bought only Seagate 80GB and didn't have any problems
(at least not more than expected failure rate).
Now we have to buy another server and we are doubtful about continuing
with "reliable" Seagates 80GB or "risking" with Maxtor 160GB. What's your
experience with these disks?

Another point. You say that with Linux software RAID you get a much higher
performance: how much do you pay in term of CPU usage for a RAID-5 array?

Thanks in advance,
Massimo Biasotto

--
Massimo Biasotto               phone: +39 049 8068383
INFN - Lab. Naz. di Legnaro    fax:   +39 049 641925
via Romea 4                    email: massimo.biasotto at lnl.infn.it
I-35020 Legnaro (Padova)