rather unfortunate article on Mac

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Thu Jan 31 16:41:34 PST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Mark Hahn wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,50078,00.html
>
> a heady mixture of raw Apple marketing and some pretty strange
> slams of Beowulf and Linux.  hmm, oh, I see, and a bit of self-promotion...

NOTE: I speak for myself, not for anyone else or any company which I
work for.

Having looked over their one-page install guide, I find it quite amusing
that this system requires every machine doing computations to have a
full MacOS X install, plus pooch installed.  I've setup several Scyld
Beowulf clusters and find them to be easier to setup than what is
required for their 1 page of installation instructions.

<rant>
Perhaps it would be nice if people writing articles would look at the
status of Linux in the last 6 months or a year as opposed to 5 or more
years ago.

And really.. 2 weeks for 16-nodes sounds like an overexaguration, even
for some of the original beowulf stuff.
</rant>