bproc: intercept slave exec() ?

hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz
Thu Jan 31 09:18:05 PST 2002

fork() on slave node is intercepted by bproc and corresponding fork()
of ghost on master node also happens, as I finally learned from [1].

What about exec() - would it be possible to intercept it on slave node
to such an extent that shell scripts would run on slave node (where
binaries are not available) ?

(I am sure Scyld architects considered this idea but I never heard
their conclusions.)

I would like to integrate Scyld beowulf with SGE, and for this I need
to run scripts on nodes. Possible solutions are:

- NFS mount /bin etc. on nodes
- the above exec() trick
- some other magic - maybe PBS Pro integrators will tell me how they solved this?
- use bpsh in every script to be run - this would be awful

Thanks for any opinions

Vaclav

[1] http://www.microway.com/tech_support/papers/appnotes/Microway_Working_Note_13.htm