Dual Athlon MP 1U units - rack save

alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com
Fri Jan 25 18:09:12 PST 2002

hi all

i like these discussions/feedbacks of 1U chassis issues.. :-)

i've heard of problems woth the appro dual-amd chasiss tooo
and yes... its not trivial to solve
	- notice they have tons of air flow too with them
	large 4" blowers..

i'd be curious to see/update status of the racksaver
1U tests...

airflow outside the case might not help... since the CPU
might not have access to the outside air flow, when its
butting up against the hot power supply
	- its better to expose the cpu to the outside
	by leave it close to the chassis edge rather
	than up against the power supply

	- when the cpu is breathing air from the otuside
	than the ambient temperature does help in cooling
	the cpu core too

also with one side fan on the cpu for cooling, if that fan dies...
that cpu will get too hot especially when the cpu is covered
with those plastic air-flow housing

we've just gotten our protootype P4/AMD 1U-capable chassis
and ready for some heat/airflow/power supply testing
	- fun stuff ??

one of my simple 1U tests - is an infinite kernel compile
and simulataneously creating 2GB-sized files  and also exercising
the disks with  "tree /" and see how hot it gets ...
if it passes the onboard cpu temp tests... than we're happy

thanx
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net ... P4 and AMD - based 1Us...