lperfex version 2.0 released

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Wed Jan 23 14:25:09 PST 2002

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that lperfex 2.0 is now available.  lperfex is a
hardware performance monitoring tool for Linux/IA32 systems, using the
interface provided by Mikael Pettersson's perfctr library version 2.0.
(Work on updating it to use the more recent perfctr 2.3.x is ongoing.)
If you've used Cray's hpm or SGI's perfex, then lperfex should seem
fairly familiar.  If not, think of lperfex as a variation on the time
command which can also track low-level hardware events like floating
point operations, cache misses, and so on.  It is not intrusive into
the code whose performance it measures and does not require special
compilation or code instrumentation.

lperfex version 2.0 is a rather major change from the previous versions.
First, it uses perfctr rather than libperf for its low-level interface.
This also means that it can count events on non-P6 x86 processors such as
original Pentiums and Athlons.  Second, the command line argument handling
has been improved so that symbolic event names (eg. P6_FLOPS) can be
used instead of the older versions' event numbers.  Finally, we have added
anonymous CVS access and a mailing list to support lperfex.

See http://www.osc.edu/~troy/lperfex/ for code and more details.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       email:  troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    phone:  614-292-9701
Ohio Supercomputer Center       web:  http://oscinfo.osc.edu