cluster frustrations (Suggestions for same)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Thu Jan 17 09:58:53 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:29:05AM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> I totally agree with Mark here -- I can buy somewhere between 2 and 4
> ECC-memory-equipped nodes over the counter from Intrex (my local vanilla
> PC supplier) for the cost of one server-class node of equivalent power

One of the biggest sources of needless arguments on this list is
different definitions. Since when is the node you described first not
a "server-class node"?

If you define "server-class" as "stuff from vendors with huge markups"
then sure, white boxes usable as servers are going to be cheaper. But
if you define "server class" as "boxes with certain features, such as
ECC memory", it's a whole different discussion.

We get similar discussions over "commodity", "beowulf", "cluster", etc
etc.

-- greg