Beowulf digest, Vol 1 #703 - 10 msgs

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Sat Jan 12 09:20:16 PST 2002

With regards to your message where you stated:
>Steven Timm wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of dual Xeon
> > motherboard to get to be able to run these new 2.2 GHz processors?
> > I have heard a lot about the Supermicro boards but am suspect due
> > to problems with several earlier versions of Supermicro PIII boards.
> >
> > Is there any word on when Intel will be releasing their new
> > board with the native Intel chipset instead of a Serverworks chipset?
> >
> > Steve
There are only two currently available choices:
Tyan S2603
Supermicro P4Dxx series.

Unfortunately the Intel 860 chipset is only compatible with RDRAM.
Supermicro have a few variants, but they are all limited to 2GB RAM.

The Tyan can go to 4GB, but uses a memory riser card to do it, and is a
very large form factor as a result. Also, the Intel cooling shrouds for
XEON are huge, and actually hang past the motherboard, breaking the form
factor specification.

Power supply requirements are also very hefty.

In general it is unlikely to implement this board in anything under 4U of
rack space.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3