export disks from nodes?

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Wed Jan 9 05:44:43 PST 2002

On Wed, 09 Jan 2002, hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz wrote:

> Is it possible to have scyld nodes with local filesystems, used mostly
> locally but also exported?

Theoretically, yes.  However, I've never done it so I don't know how
hard it is or exactly what problems you'll run into.

> - anybody figured out all the things needed for NFS server on node?

This is the main problem, getting the daemons and the files they require
onto the nodes, but even that can be tricky.

> - can PVFS do that? (without slowing down mostly local HD access)

This is probablly your best bet, but I'm not sure how it would slow down
local HD access.  With PVFS you take a number of slave nodes and speicfy
them to serve data, and a filesystem is created that is split among all
those nodes, much like RAID striping.  If anything, accessing a file off
a PVFS filesystem should be faster than off an NFS filesystem due to the
distributed nature of it.

Sean