Terminal Software Switch

Andrew Shewmaker shewa at inel.gov
Wed Feb 20 08:10:28 PST 2002

Hello,

I use a utility called pconsole.  Freshmeat describes it in this way:

"pconsole is a parallel console tool, and is meant as an interactive
administrative shell tool for clusters. It allows you to connect to each
node of your cluster simultaneously, and you can type your
administrative commands in a specialized window that 'multiplies' the
input to each of the connections you have opened."

The command "pconsole.sh node1 node2 node3" would open four xterms, one
for each node and another that can will redirect what you type to all
of them at once.  Each xterm works like a regular xterm also.  The
default setting is to use a tiny font, but that can be changed by
control right-clicking on the window or editing the script.

Most window managers have a window list tool that makes it pretty easy
to select the xterm you want (they have names like user at node: dir).
This doesn't address the ability to raise a specific xterm from the
command line, but KDE (that is what I am using) may allow you to script
that through dcop.

I have not noticed any scalability problems, but I usually only have 43
xterms running off a dual 1.2GHz Athlon with 2GB RAM.  At most I have
used two instances of pconsole, each with 43 xterms.

Unfortunately the web site seems to be down right now.  Mandrake
includes it in their distribution though, or I could send you the
15k rpm.

pconsole is GPLed, but I have never seen the source (pconsole.sh is a
frontend to pconsole).  Also, by default pconsole uses ssh and can only
be run by root.  This can be changed.

I hope this helps,

Andrew