[Fwd: scyld beowulf question]

Horatio B. Bogbindero wyy at admu.edu.ph
Fri Feb 15 03:05:34 PST 2002

<snipped for brevity>

this is the last few lines of the bootup after the 2-K-M and when the
seconds kernel starts to boot. this is using the standard CDROM bootup
sequence.

apm: Bios version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.13)
request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device 03:05
Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:05
Reboot in 30 seconds..

> This sounds like the Two kernel monte isn't working.
>
> Try making a floppy for a stage two floppy.
>
>  * Comment out all "bootmodule" lines from /etc/beowulf/config.boot
>    and add one that only has the Ethernet driver you're using (matches
>    your h/w)
>
>  * Run: "beoboot -2 -f -o /dev/fd0" with a floppy in the master.
>
> At this point the slave node should boot fine.  If it does you might
> try installing the stage 1 image on the hard drive using
> "beoboot-install" after you have partitioned the disk on the slave
> node.  It would be very interest to know if the slave node will boot
> via the stock "beoboot-install" because it uses "lilo" as it's boot
> loader while the floppy/CDROM uses syslinux.  We've had some trouble
> with monte and syslinux on some machines.

this is the contents of the error file after using the 2nd stage
bootdisk to boot the slave node:

node_up: Setting system clock.
node_up: TODO set interface netmask.
node_up: Configuring loopback interface.
/dev/hda: No such device
node_up: Configuring PCI devices.
setup_fs: Configuring node filesystems...
setup_fs: Using /etc/beowulf/fstab
setup_fs: Checking /dev/ram0 (type=ext2)...
setup_fs: Hmmm...This appears to be a ramdisk.
setup_fs: I'm going to try to try checking the filesystem (fsck) anyway.
setup_fs: If it is a RAM disk the following will fail harmlessly.
e2fsck 1.20, 25-May-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/ram0
setup_fs: FSCK failure. (OK for RAM disks)
setup_fs: Mounting /dev/ram0 on /rootfs//... (type=ext2; options=defaults)
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/ram0,
       or too many mounted file systems
Failed to mount /dev/ram0 on /.

> If it ends up that the beoboot-install stage 1 image also doesn't boot
> right you can modify the beoboot-install script to place stage 2 image
> on the slave node's hard disk.

am i doing something wrong here? it does not seem that the 2-K-M failed
entirely because i see the second kernel boot.

thank you for your help.

William Emmanuel S. Yu
Ateneo Cervini-Eliazo Networks (ACENT)
email  :  wyy at admu dot edu dot ph
web    :  http://CNG.ateneo.net/wyu/
phone  :  63(2)4266001-4186
GPG    :  http://CNG.ateneo.net/wyu/wyy.pgp

War spares not the brave, but the cowardly.
		-- Anacreon