High Speed Beowulf Cluster using gigabit ethernet

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 6 01:10:03 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Donald Becker wrote:
> There are two independent dp83820 drivers, and varients of each driver.
> My driver is named ns820.c
>
> We don't currently recommend '820 cards.  We have seen lost packets
> during tests, independent of what driver was used.  This was with
> hardware produced at least five months ago so the problem may have been
> fixed.

A student in our laboratory had to implement a special driver for a
card (Asante Giganix 1000) with that chip and found at least three
reproducable hardware bugs. Fortunately he was able to work around the
bugs. At least we found out why the cards were so cheap...

- Felix
Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307