PVFS fault tolerence ?

Ben Ransom bransom at ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 5 17:50:51 PST 2002

I see that PVFS stripes data, but it seems there is no fault
tolerance.  That is, a node goes down, and your data is not available.  So,
although IDE drives are pretty reliable, the chance of data loss from a
PVFS system is essentially the chance of a single node (disk) going down
times the number of nodes in the PVFS file space.  Not so good.  So, yeah,
I buy a large capacity tape drive.  But even then, do I have to look at
restoring the *entire* PVFS volume, which could be very large (say 20 nodes
times 30gb) just for loosing one node?  Odds are,  losing a disk is "when",
not "if".

-Ben Ransom
  UC Davis