slave node problem

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Tue Feb 5 11:51:44 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, david silverman wrote:

> > > It seems to recognize the etherlink III 3c590 NIC fine during
> > > bootup.
> >What NIC do you have?
> >Is it really an ancient 10Mbps 3c590, or some other 590/900 series card?
>
> The front node has a 3c905 tx, the one slave I'm testing things on has "an
> ancient 10Mbps 3c590" - could one of those or the generic hub be the problem?

Hmmm, I see if we have tested a '590.  We don't test 10Mbps cards for
the product, and I pull out those (_really_ old) cards only when I
change driver code that is likely to have broken them.

Note that starting up a cluster nodes at 10Mbps over a shared repeater will
take a really long time.  We download about 40MB of initial system, and
just that network load might triggering a monitoring timeout.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993