how to test the performance of PIO and DMA

alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com
Mon Feb 4 21:19:16 PST 2002

hi mark

ditto on your comments... nobody should be using PIO mode...

for (other's) info ....
usually you can see a "*" next to the current drive settings
from   "hdparm -iv /dev/hda"
	- look for *udma5  ( for "100MByte/sec transfer" disks )

even if PIO is supported on the disk.. you dont need it or use it..

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net/Disks ... IDE vs SCSI ...

	- note teh PIO and MultiWord DMA speed ...
	and note the current Ultra-xxx dma modes..