rather unfortunate article on Mac

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Mon Feb 4 13:46:27 PST 2002

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Erik Paulson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:19:46PM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > having GigE builtin is sort of amusing, but GigE PCI cards
> > are down to $36 (!).
>
> What are switches down to these days? Does anyone have any
> recommendations?

I haven't heard anything about them, but I see that netgear is releasing some
gigabit switches.  As usual, they are much cheaper than current switches from
3com and intel.  The 8-port is about $1000, 16-port $1400, and 24-port $2000.
It doesn't look anyone will have the 16 and 24 port switches in stock for
another two months.  With a $36 card and $84/port switch, GigE is down to the
price FE was a year ago.