multiple processes on laptop

Ivan Pulleyn ivan at sixfold.com
Mon Dec 23 18:44:08 PST 2002

Do the jobs actually run slowly, or just spawn slowly? It might be DNS
problems. Assuming a somewhat standard Linux machine, you could change
the hosts line in /etc/nsswitch.conf from

	hosts:      files nisplus dns

to:

	hosts:      files

Add localhost.localdomain and your laptops hostname to /etc/hosts. Try
again while offline to see if it's faster.

Ivan...

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Frank Muldoon wrote:

> I have a Fortran 95/MPI parallel program that I run on my laptop for
> testing.  If I have the ethernet card plugged into a live cable I can
> run 32 jobs on the laptop easily.  If there is no cable or a dead cable
> plugged in then my program runs very slow. It takes for ever for the 32
> processes to spawn.  Rebuilding mpich (version 1.2.4) with the shared
> memory device does not help.  Anyone know how to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank
>
> --
> Frank Muldoon
> Computational Fluid Dynamics Research Group
> Louisiana State University
> Baton Rouge, LA 70803
> 225-205-6601 (cell phone)
> 225-578-5217 (w)