SMC 8624T 24-port 10/100/1000 switch

Bob Drzyzgula bob at drzyzgula.org
Fri Dec 20 05:51:18 PST 2002

Follow-up: We recently received some of the SMC 24-port
gigabit switches. I cracked one open and it does in fact
have Broadcom chips in it. The only visible ones are the
transceivers. There are five BCM5404s for twenty of the
copper ports, and four BCM5421s shared between the last
four copper ports and the four mini-GBIC slots, i.e.,
one can only have 24 ports active despite the 28 physical
ports on the front. The switch fabric chips have heat sinks
glued onto them, so I can't give the number for those.

Interestingly, as a promotional deal we got ten SMC 32-bit
PCI gigabit NICs free with each switch. Those are using
Altima AC1002 chips; Altima is a Broadcom subsidiary.

We've not yet had an opportunity to test putting traffic
through the SMC switches, but we've powered one up and
our networking guys were happy to find the software to
be an IOS clone.

--Bob