RSH scaling problems...

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Dec 16 08:37:41 PST 2002

Hi Mike:

Look in your log files Luke...

You might find the relevant error message at the tail end of
/var/log/message.  Look for rshd or in.rshd errors.

  Some thoughts that might help if RSH is really the issue:

In later linuxes (linicies?) rsh spawning is done by xinetd.  You want
to make sure xinetd can spawn enough processes.  Look at the xinetd man
page, and the -limit option.  Adjust the /etc/xinetd.conf file to
reflect the limit.  One one system I had to bump this pretty high to
allow all the connections to daemons.

If you are still using /etc/inetd.conf, you can tell it how many servers
it may spawn by including a .nservers at the appropriate part of the
line (though my memory is unclear as to which part)

You might also be running out of network bandwidth.  Try running

	vmstat 1
	netstat -cav

and see what your machine is doing network-wise.  Try grabbing the atop
program from freshmeat, and using that to summarize the net utilization
(or use ntop, or any of the others).

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D.