Newbie - help. Cluster specifications for ls-dyna.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Dec 5 13:37:00 PST 2002

Hello,

I have been working on specifications for some additional servers for
our small (4 node) cluster.  We are using gigabit ethernet (copper)
switches to join the nodes.

Our cluster will be running ls-dyna and is presently based on Scyld
Beowulf software.

I am looking at dual Xeon or Athlon processors.  The Athlons are a
lower cost option but I have concerns about the Floating point
differences between each processor.  I have searched the web and found
that each has it's own benefits and can depend on the type of application.

I have used linux since 1994 so I am not totally lost.

As I have no experience with clusters or ls-dyna, I need some help and
all help will be appreciated.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist