Availability of MPI over inet2 protocol

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Sun Dec 1 05:10:41 PST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 04:53, Kragen Sitaker wrote:
> Don Becker writes:
> > Improve in what way?  IPv6 is slower and more complex.
>
> IIRC, the designers of IPv6 left out the parts of IPv4 that tended to
> bottleneck routers, like recalculating header checksums after
> decrementing the TTL; they intended to make IPv6 faster than IPv4 on
> the same amount of hardware.  I guess you think they failed?

Do you think it will make a bit of a difference at the MPI level ?

There are some characteristics of long distance networking that you will
never change, like the speed of light. IPv4 or IPv6, don't expect good
performance running MPI codes across the Internet, unless there is no
communication.
When the Grid Computing community will finally realize that... :-)

Patrick
--

Patrick Geoffray, Phd
Myricom, Inc.