Scyld Hardware Question

Aaron Collier collier at cs.widener.edu
Sat Aug 31 14:13:31 PDT 2002

Hello,

(1) Was hyper-threading enabled on the nodes?

NOTE 1: I have read that hyper-threading isn't stable even with the 2.4.18
kernel (system performance eventually begins to degrade drastically).
SOURCE: www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/2002-April/003228.html

(2) Were the nodes using IDE or SCSI storage?

NOTE 1: Intel admits that DMA doesn't function properly withe the Intel
E7500 chipset under RedHat 7.2 (the release Scyld 28cz-4 is based on), and
provides the solution of upgrading to a patched 2.4.19 kernel (if I recall
correctly 28cz-4 only uses a variant of the 2.4.17 kernel).
SOURCE: support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/se7500cw2/dma.htm

NOTE 2: Without proper DMA support the effective throughput on the IDE bus
is an embarrassing 3 MB/sec.
SOURCE: www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/2002-July/004049.html

NOTE 3: Since Scyld modifies the kernel then patches derived from changes
to the vanilla source (from kernel.org) may not work.

NOTE 4: I have been told by Scyld tech support not to bother attempting to
upgrade the kernel since various patches need to be applied.

(3) Did the cluster nodes use the Intel E7500 chipset?

NOTE 1: Even the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel neglects to implement IRQ balancing
on the E7500 chipset (only CPU0 is able to handle interrupts).
SOURCE: www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/2002-April/003228.html

(4) Did you resolve all of the aforementioned issues in release 28cz-4, or
is the meaning of the term "supported" still relative?

Bye,
Aaron